July 18, 2012: Hogan Lovells Sponsors Second Annual Summer Clerk Informational Luncheon
Getting a Jump Start on Pro Bono:
Top Ten Reasons to Start Now
On July 17th, Hogan Lovells sponsored a Summer Clerk Informational Luncheon for the summer associate classes of area law firms. Alvin Lindsey, a partner with Hogan Lovells emphasized the need to contribute to the community we all call home, in his opening remarks. He then introduced the Honorable Stanford Blake, 11th Judicial Circuit Court, Family Division who spoke on â€œView from the Bench: The Value of Engaging in Pro Bono Workâ€. Karen Ladis, Esq., and Wendy Wilson, Esq. spoke about Dade Legal Aidâ€™s Put Something Back Program and the Miami-Dade County Pro Bono Project website, www.dadecountyprobono.org.
The top ten reasons to start pro bono right now:
10. An excuse for why you didnâ€™t make your billable target.
9. An opportunity to cut the line and impress the judge presiding over your other big case.
8. Free lunch and free CLE training on superb topics.
7. Opportunity to expand or hone your legal skills.
6. Access to Dade Legal Aidâ€™s extensive library of training materials.
5. Recognition among your professional peers and the larger community.
4. Opportunity to network and market your legal practice.
3. Become your own Atticus Finch.
2. The satisfaction of knowing you made a difference in someoneâ€™s life.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON:
1. Fulfill your oath as a Florida lawyer.
â€œI will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay anyoneâ€™s cause for lucre or malice. So help me God.â€ Oath of Admission, The Florida Bar
A special thank you to Carmen Cartaya, associate and John Mezquia, marketing manager, of Hogan Lovells for their hard work in organizing, coordinating and marketing this fantastic event! We at Dade Legal Aid appreciate the continued support of Hogan Lovells and their commitment to pro bono legal services.